Friday, January 25, 2013

Somewhere Out There

The West looms large in my personal and genealogical history.  I've been west many times, but never been farther east than the western-most part of Illinois.  I know there's a whole world that lies to the east, but my entire life experience thus far has revolved around the wide-open spaces of the west.  The sweeping vistas, the lonesome mountains forever in the distance. 

The little town of Springerville, AZ.

My dad's hometown, and the lifelong (with a few short exceptions) residence of my Uncle Don.  A resilient, wise loner, Uncle Don recently passed away, and Dad and I are on our way west to the little hamlet in the sky (altitude - 7,000 feet) to see to caring for some final arrangements, and to secure Don's house and remove items of extreme sentimental and/or practical value.

It's not a fun reason to be here, but there is still magic in the west that cannot be denied. 

The best place names passed today include Roman Nose, Oklahoma, Corn, Oklahoma, and Zuzax, New Mexico.  Somewhere in Texas we passed a truck stop called (I'm not kidding) Jesus Christ is the Savior Not a Swear Word Truck Stop.  That was fun.

I'm spoiled to majestic views after living in Eureka Springs for the last year - there's something truly breathtaking about endless vistas filled with trees - living things, versus endless vistas filled with dirt and rocks.  Big rocks, for sure, but still rocks.  But there's something liberating about the space.  And the dry air.  And the moderate winter temperatures. 

And the history.

The passing of Uncle Don likely marks the end of my connection to Springerville, AZ.  At least, the last living connection.  But some connections are far deeper - some connections are intangible.  They consist of the fibers of memory and the love that lingers in the heart.  I'm glad I got to see Uncle Don not too awful long ago (about two years) and I'm glad I have a reason to return to the rural mountain region of Northeastern Arizona.

As I've gotten older and experienced travels I've learned how small the country really is.  This morning, I was in Joplin, MO.  This evening I'm in Albuquerque, NM.  Tomorrow I'll be in Springerville.  The country is small, but our own lives - our tiny little worlds - are smaller still.  Like I said, the situation isn't particularly happy, but it is nice to get back out on the road (with shorter notice than I've ever experienced a similar trip before) and revisit these parts of the story of my life.

Perhaps Uncle Don's world was the smallest of all, but by visiting it and taking memories and stories away with me, I make it larger.  And by telling the stories - keeping them alive - I make it eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment